Challenge: Choose an NBA team. Think about the team’s strengths and weaknesses during the 2011-12 season. What needs do you think the team should be addressing in free agency?
- If the team has already signed a free agent, how would you evaluate the fit of the signed free agent with the team’s needs? If you agree with the signing, why do you think it was a good move? If you disagree with the signing, which player should the team have signed instead?
- If your team has not yet signed any free agents of note, who should they be chasing?
- Please support your response with an analysis of the team’s strengths and weaknesses and how the particular player fits in with those strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to focus on players acquired through trades as well.
The sites below all have a variety of statistics that may help you support your answer to this challenge. If you are having trouble locating a specific statistic or resource, send us an email at AnalyticChallenge@gmail.com and we’ll try to steer you in the right direction.
- NBA.com Advanced Stats
- The NBA Geek
- List of Free Agents – List of restricted and unrestricted free agents eligible for consideration
- Unpacking the Challenge – Questions to help you begin thinking about Challenge #2
- Getting Started with the Challenge – A guide for beginning to locate statistics, helping you choose and support an answer for Challenge #2
- Digging Deeper with the Challenge – Some more complex variables to consider in selecting your answer, and providing supporting evidence