Challenge: Choose an NBA team. Think about the team’s strengths and weaknesses during the 2011-12 season. What needs do you think the team should be addressing in free agency?
- If the team has already signed a free agent, how would you evaluate the fit of the signed free agent with the team’s needs? If you agree with the signing, why do you think it was a good move? If you disagree with the signing, which player should the team have signed instead?
- If your team has not yet signed any free agents of note, who should they be chasing?
- Please support your response with an analysis of the team’s strengths and weaknesses and how the particular player fits in with those strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to focus on players acquired through trades as well.
Below are several lists of free agents, and contracts which have already been agreed upon.
NBA.com – A list of free agents sorted by name
ESPN.com – A list of free agents sorted by team
HoopsWorld.com – A list of free agents sorted by position
ESPN.com – Player movement tracker, showing players that have already been moved in trades and players who have already agreed on free agent contracts.
- Data Resources - Links to statistical websites that may help in answering Challenge #2
- Unpacking the Challenge – Questions to help you begin thinking about Challenge #2
- Getting Started with the Challenge – A guide for beginning to locate statistics, helping you choose and support an answer for Challenge #2
- Digging Deeper with the Challenge – Some more complex variables to consider in selecting your answer, and providing supporting evidence