Editing Transparently: Last Night’s Numbers is no more and we’re still searching for a daily format that works here at Hickory-High. Matt Cianfrone is trying out this new (sometimes) Daily Dribble thoughts/storify set-up. Let us know what you think, what works and what doesn’t. What would you like to see added? Now, back to Matt:
Some thoughts from the two late games:
Timberwolves 97 – Kings 89:
- The double foul is one of the stupidest things ever invented in sports, especially on a block/charge call. It happened to Kevin Love and DeMarcus Cousins. It was Cousins fourth foul and forced him out of the game for a bit.
- The Cousins - Nikola Pekovic battle was fantastic, just two old school bruiser types going at it. They’re so fun to watch in a game that is filled with so many explosive athletes.
- Tyreke Evans was pretty great last night made some nice drives and more importantly some passes that for most of his career he hasn’t made.
- Andrei Kirilenko is a joy to watch when he has the freedom Rick Adelman gives him. He was all over the floor defensively, made some great passes and got some tough boards.
- When Ricky Rubio returns, the Wolves may be the best passing team in the league. Add him to Love and AK47 and there will be plenty of highlights in Minnesota.
- Isiah Thomas is so, so fun to watch. There is absolutely no fear in him and his array of floaters in the paint is impressive. I just wish he would get more minutes than Aaron Brooks.
Pacers 79 – Lakers 77:
- The first half of this game was just plain ugly. The Pacers had no one outside of David West to create shots and somehow had the better offense in the first half. The second half wasn’t much better. With 10:08 left the score was 64-57 Pacers. YUCK.
- Dwight Howard is getting closer and closer to being back to full strength and it’s showing. He made some great contests of shots in the game, not quite 100 percent Dwight but he is rounding into shape. He also made some nice moves in the post.
- I don’t get benching Pau Gasol for most of the 4th quarter. The Lakers offense was not flowing well at all, it was basically all Kobe Bryant as Pau sat on the bench for most of the quarter in favor of Jordan Hill and Antawn Jamison. I know Pau wasn’t playing great but he is leaps and bounds better than those guys and neither of Hill nor Jamison was exactly playing out of their minds.
- Kobe was awful late in the game. At one point with about 5 minutes left he was forced to pick up his dribble and demanded the ball right back to take a deep contested 3. It was a night of characteristically awful shot selection, even on the clutch 3 that tied the game.
- Howard’s rotation on the George Hill game winner was really late and uncharacteristic of him, but what a great move and shot by Hill none-the-less.
- That ref who wants us all to know his name was at it again last night. It is a joke that he still is around and last night he made some terrible calls including stopping a Pacers break to call a tech on Kobe. I won’t help him try to get his name mentioned as much as possible like he wants but this .gif was pretty good: http://bit.ly/Ub1PFY.
Here’s what Twitter had to say: