Rants, References and Revelations
Icon SMI Media
- Joey Whelan kept things rolling at HoopSpeak U with a breakdown of John Henson. The verdict: He’s no Brandan Wright. Henson wasn’t included in my Draft Similarity Scores from this season because he elected to return to school. Just for fun, I ran him through. Based on last year’s numbers his closest comparisons in my system were Ed Davis and JaVale McGee, with similarity scores of 862 and 860 respectively.
- Another week, another financial layer of the lockout peeled away. Kudos to Tom Ziller for bringing some clarifiying detail to this quote from union economist Kevin Murphy:
Ask them to show you how much their costs have gone up as a percentage of BRI. Our moving from 57 to 52.5 covers more than 100 percent of any cost increase they’ve had.
- Sebastian Pruiti took a look at how some of the top point guards were defended in the pick and roll. In an indirect measure of their greatness, teams were all over the map in how they defended Steve Nash and Chris Paul. Very little of it worked.
- The lockout is definitely making things tough on the players. Tony Allen has nothing but Ramen in the cupboards. Andy Rautins had to move back in with his parents. David Stern has been applying plenty of pressure to the players. I’m sure that pales in comparison to the pressure of a few nights crashing in mom and dad’s basement.
- Zach Lowe asks, “Why Does Everyone Want Jamal Crawford?” I’m not shocked that he doesn’t find many satisfying answers.
- Dan Feldman has some data to show that preseason predictions, ESPN’s NBA Rank specifically, have undervalued rookies.